[Gimp-user] Isolating an image

Hi,

I have spent about 4 hours trying to figure out a problem. I am creating videos
that will use a comic book theme. I need to add dialogue bubbles, text boxes to
the video.

I have tried numerous times to create the bubble and then completely remove the
background so that only the stylized bubble remains. No matter how much I try, I
can't get rid of the space around the bubble. For example, a round dialogue
bubble simply shows up as a round bubble on a rectangular background.

How do I get of that rectangular background even though it is supposed to be
transparent after I modify it?

I have tried Layers, etc.

I have seen about a dozen 'Remove background vids on You Tube" but to no avail.

I have tried to verify by opening the "allegedly" rendered image in Paint and
even though I have removed the background, I still have the image sitting plunk
in the middle of a page.

Me very frustrated, Jane.

Is there a way to completely isolate JUST the dialogue bubble - or any single
item for that matter - from an image and then export it - SANS BACKGROUND - to
another application?

Cheetah, Jane and me be very happy for advice.

Cheers,
Bolo.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/160/original/test_dialogue_box.png