Re: [Gimp-user] About .tpl archive reverse engineering

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Liz Souto wrote:
Hello again!
I'd like to know in what computer language has to be written a reverse
engineering for running .tpl archives in GIMP. My husband is a computer
programmer and maybe he can help.
Any details about this that I can talk to him would be appreciated. I can't
wait to use some .tpl brushes in my drawings!

Hi Liz,

GIMP is written in C, but importing .tpl files can most likely be
written in Python too.

Please note that .tpl is more than just a way to pack brushes, so one
would have to write the code to:

1. Read a .tpl file.

2. Extract tool presets and save them in GIMP's file format to GIMP's
folder for tool presets. Here's an example of such a file:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/data/tool-presets/Paint/Bristles.gtp

3. Extract brushes and save them in whatever file format is easier to
save as (could be Photoshop's ABR), to GIMP's folder for brushes.

If your husband has any particular questions regarding development, it
might be a good idea to drop by at IRC:

http://www.gimp.org/irc.html

Alex