Re: [Gimp-user] Optimize jpegs

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Owen <rcook pcug org au> wrote:

I'm creating some textures for 3d models using gimp.  I've been
exporting as jpg
with quality set at 100, but the file sizes are humongous.  What do
you think is
the best setting to bring down the file size with no noticeable loss
of quality?

Well, I would simply experiment and decide what is "best for you"

Open original, export as new-name1.jpg at say 70%
Then reopen original, and export as new-name2.jpg at say 60%
and so on

Most of my saves are at 50%

Why jpgs? What sizes do you get with pngs?

It is indeed hard to give a perfect number out of the box.
The overall visual quality is very much dependent on what the image
actually depicts and on what kind of compromise you can tolerate.
A dirt texture can probably pull off a much lower quality than a
smooth gradient.