Re: [Gimp-user] Path Tool Annoyances

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 05:45 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
akovia (akovia1 eml cc) wrote:
The main problem is when trying to stroke a hand made path. If either
handle is even the slightest bit pulled out, it will interrupt the
stroke and leave a gap. This is a problem for 2 reasons.

I don't understand what you mean by "gap"? Are you saying that having a
corner at a node makes edit->stroke path leave gaps? Can you create a
screenshot?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93550827/temp/path-nodes.jpg

1. When placing nodes, the new tool is too sensitive and I think it
could use some sort of threshold adjustment. Unless you concentrate to
make sure the mouse is completely still when placing the node, click
the mouse and fully release the button before the slightest movement,
it will inevitably pull the handles out the tiniest bit. This can be
very hard to see if you aren't zoomed in extremely close, and really
destroys your workflow.

yeah, that might make sense - my first attempt would put the threshold
at the radius of the node representation.

That sounds good.

2. My path workflow has always been to just drag the path itself out
away from the node to draw out the handles. This again now will affect
the handle on the opposing node and push out the handle the slightest
bit and mess up the stroke.

Note that if you drag the path closely to one node, the handle on the
opposite node will not be moved. Only a (largeish) area in the middle
moves both handles simultaneously (yet still with a shifting weight
depending on where you drag).

Yeah, I am very aware of that. It's probably a bad habit but it always
produced expected results with the old path tool so it's kinda ingrained
in me now. I am always aware when I pop out the opposing handle in any
meaningful way, but this happens at such a small scale that I never know
it till I'm trying to stroke something.

I believe the old path tool probably reacted in nearly the same way,
but the stroke was never left with these gaps.

Again - I have no idea what gaps you are referring to. Maybe a
screenshot can help.

Hopefully the screenshot will clear it up. It's very easily reproducible
by just zooming in all the way and tweak a handle in some odd way the
slightest bit. I didn't try to find the worst example, but sometimes it
will leave a huge gap unlike the small one in the screenshot. Maybe next
time I am rendering I will use my normal workflow and capture the
results before going back and repairing it.

--
  akovia