[Gimp-user] Move Tool glitch

hey team

been running GIMP for years, now running version 2.8.10 on OS X 10.8.5

Now a very annoying glitch that was not present on 2.6 (the last version I ran).
I use the scale tool to resize an item.  Then I press 'M' to move the item.  My
cursor turns into some kind of bezier tool with a no-go symbol -- I'll attach a
screenshot below -- and then I am unable to move anything.  The only way to make
that go away and get back my Move Tool is to quit and restart.

This is very aggravating!  As I said before, I never had this problem until I
got the latest build.  This happens when I copy an image, paste it into another
window and anchor the layer.  It also happens when using the scale tool.

many thanks for any help!
Paul

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/119/original/photo_(1).JPG