Re: [Gimp-user] ufraw/lensfun

* Maurizio Loreti <maurizio loreti gmail com> [07-10-14 04:37]:
 [...]
I have problems with the "lensfun" corrections to my photo pictures; I
am not sure if this is related to GIMP itself, or to the Mac port I am
using.

What happens is:

if I open a Canon RAW image (a CR2 file), GIMP recalls the "ufraw"
plugin window; in the third tab ("Lens Correction"), ufraw does not know
my camera Canon 6D, nor my other camera Canon Powershot G15, nor my lens
Canon 24-70 EF L II (note the "II"), nor other lenses I have.
If I open a Canon JPG image, the plugin GIMP-Lensfun v0.2.3 (Filters ->
Enhance -> GIMP-Lensfun, inserted I think in the distribution by skl)
does not know the same cameras and objectives.

The lensfun correction files are shipped by skl in the directory
/Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/lensfun/ , and are named
compact-canon.xml and slr-canon.xml.

I have tried do download the last versions from the lensfun
distribution, now hosted on sourceforge; under the URL
http://sourceforge.net/p/lensfun/code/ci/master/tree/data/db/ there are
three files canon-related, named compact-canon.xml, slr-canon.xml and
mil-canon.xml.  Just copying the first two files, or all three, on my
GIMP tree, makes GIMP choke on the format of these files - both for RAW
images and for JPG images; probably the xml file format has changed with
the time.

QUESTION: how can I upgrade GIMP so that it will use modern and complete
lensfun files?

You don't have to, just replace the "compact-canon.xml" and/or
"slr-canon.xml" files with the one that contains the information you need.
Or just edit the current files adding the relevant information.  I use
darktable rather than gimp for raw processing and had to do that when I
upgraded my D200 to D7100.  And there is still missing lenses in the
lensfun database.