[Gimp-user] How do you remove halos?

Hi Everyone,

I'm very new at using Gimp. I haven't been using it for a week yet.
Right now, I'm using the paint brush to outline objects then fill in
the colors. I'm doing this all on a transparency.

Sometimes the fill tool doesn't fill in the entire area that is
blocked in by the paint strokes. I have to go around the edges with
the paint brush and fill in the rest of the color. What could be
causing this?

When I'm ready to export them, the images look OK in Gimp. But once I
export them, the black paint brush lines have halos around them.

Are there some settings I need to make before I import images into
Gimp or export them to my desktop? I'm working with jpg images.

The thing I don't get is that with the first 2 images I worked on, I
didn't have the halo issue. I didn't change any settings. What could
have happened?

If anyone can help me with:

1. Making it so the entire area I have outlined with the paint brush
is filled in with the fill tool

2. Getting rid of the white halo lines around the areas with the brush
tool lines

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'm adding more here as I am about to leave and will not be able to post photos
for a while:

To show you how it looks when I'm drawing in Gimp, I've attached some images:

1. The first attachment is of the image taken as a screenshot, cropped in Paint
and saved as a png. No halo issues.

2. The second attachment is of the image exported from Gimp as a jpg. Halo
issues. I also saved it as a png to see if this would make a difference. It
didn't.

3. Fill issues can be seen:

a. around the edges of the eyebrows - I actually used the paint brush to add
color near the edges.

b. eyes - same as eyebrows

c. lower lip - same as with the eyebrows and eyes. I will have to use the paint
brush to fill in the rest of the lower lip.

d. upper lip - cannot use fill tool to add color. When I try to do this the
whole mouth, including the outline fills in the with color. (see third
attachment) I will have to used the paint brush to add color.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/123/original/Baby_Gimp.png
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/124/original/baby_Gimp_2.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/125/original/baby_Gimp_3.jpg