Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1)

Hi DocChloroplast,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM, DocChloroplast <forums gimpusers com> wrote:
Hi,

is this really with GIMP from www.gimp.org/downloads? If yes, what
exactly were you doing right before it crashed and can you please post
the complete error message?

Kind regards,

Sven

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, this was downloaded directly from the
website. The program crashed today; this time I was saving an admittedly large
file (after having saved it a few times before). Here is the output from
EventViewer:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          7/1/2014 1:48:02 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Faulting application name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp:
0x529a15f8
Faulting module name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002888f2
Faulting process id: 0x30ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf947469ef153b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
Report Id: d870aace-0147-11e4-bebc-089e01d1f625
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This kind of data is useless to debug. On the other hand, if you could
get us a stack trace of the time of the crash, this would help. Here
how to generate a stack trace:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Community/GettingInTouch/Bugzilla/GettingTraces
That howto is more UNIX-oriented, but I read that gdb runs on Windows
too, and apparently the MinGW-w64 project provides pre-built gdb in
their installer, if you don't have it yet:
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/download.php
So you should be able to produce a stack trace this way.

If you can get this, then please open a bug ticket on our bugtracker:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP
You will have to create an account if you don't have one yet.

Also when you say you have a new Windows 8.1 machine, is it to say you
had the same version of GIMP on a lower version of Windows? And when
you had this other installation, you didn't have that much crashes?
I say this because I own only a Windows 7 license. So if the crashes
occur exclusively on Windows 8, this may make debugging more
difficult. And I don't plan to buy a Windows license any time soon,
nor will I download illegal versions.

On the other hand, a small call to users: if anyone has legal Windows
version, which can legally be transfered to other people (which I
think disallow any OEM license tied to a computer, if not mistaken), I
(or some other GIMP dev) could install a Windows 8 in a VM to test and
debug.
As a reminder, we still have no dedicated Windows developer (as far as
I am aware). We are all mainly Linux developers.

Thanks.

Jehan

Thanks.

--