Re: [Gimp-user] Best way to remove a background of an image

On 01/20/2014 03:14 AM, Owen wrote:
3. Cut the shoes out and paste as new layer on preferred floor
What I always do for this is to use the free select (lasso) tool, with settings "Antialiasing" and "Feather edges" both selected, and a radius of 2 or 3 pixels. Then I expand the image to 400%, select carefully around the edges, invert the selection (shortcut Ctrl i), cut (shortcut Ctrl-x), and this produces the desired image.

There is a "scissors" tool that is supposed to identify background edges, but I don't think it works very well.

   -- Burnie