[Gimp-user] Close up color gaps

I've got a map raster which shows different areas (of the UK in this case) in
different colors according to rainfall ie a rainfall heatmap. However, the
county borders are in thick white which looks poor. I would like the same
map only without borders ie the colours just to change according to the
colour of the area. A plain English way to describe it would be for the
different colours to "move towards each other" to meet in the middle.

Here's an example image...

<http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/file/n42110/patches.png>

I'd like to close up those whites so there are only red and orange patches
ie for the white border to be filled with the colour on either side. The rub
is I want to keep the colors solid- no blurring/feathering etc

I've tried various combinations of blur and sharpen, edge detection and so
on but can't seem to do it. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yanno