Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP and fax

Hello Neil,

I'm not sure that Gimp is the right tool, if you want some thing lighter
then ImageMagic. I would try VIPS [1], its optimized for speed and low
memory use [2]. Wikipedia changed form ImageMagic to VIPS last year. [3]

Regards
Tobias

[1] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
[2] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Speed_and_Memory_Use
[3]
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/09/12/vipsscaler-implementation-wikimedia-sites/

I'm looking for an efficient command line method to add header text into
fax documents.

This can be done with ImageMagick, but it's painfully slow and uses far
too much memory if it's a large fax (tens or hundreds of pages). I'm
wondering if GIMP script mode might help. My immediate impression is that
GIMP is not a good tool for the job.

The problems I see are:

1. The FAQ says that the image type for TIFF must be RGB, but fax is
monochrome.
2. The faxg3 and tiff functions to load and save do not offer an obvious
way to handle 1 page at a time and the memory requirement to load hundreds
of pages would be excessive.
3. Although group 3 compression is supported there is no obvious way to
save an image as black and white.

I'm not familiar with GIMP, so it may be that I just haven't found the
right functions. Can it handle monochrome, multi-page fax and do so
efficiently?

Neil Youngman