[Gimp-user] How do I prevent the paint tool from drawing outside of the selection?

The marching ants are not the limit of the selection, they are where
the
selection has a 50% value, so pixels outside the area marked by the
ants
can be partially selected. Each time you paint over them they are
painted slightly. This isn't noticeable on the first strokes but
become
more visible after several strokes.

For what you want to do, protecting pixels with a selection isn't an
efficient technique (problems such a the one above, halos, jagged
edges...). You should be using Color-to-alpha (or paint in Color Erase
mode) to remove the old color, and apply the new color in "Behind"
mode.

Some more explanations here:
http://gimpforums.com/thread-proper-subject-extraction-background-removal-and-background-painting<http://gimpforums.com/thread-proper-subject-extraction-background-removal-and-background-painting>

Thanks, this is way better than what I was doing.

--
wizzythegrape (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)