Re: [Gimp-user] G'MIC Dream Smoothing filter

On 07/08/14 06:53, kentlytle wrote:
Hello:

I need to be able to apply the Dream Smoothing filter to relatively large image
sizes, 100 to 200 megabytes.

Currently it works well on relatively small images, 500 kb to 1000 kb.

I have tried to use the Oil Paint filter in PhotoShop which produces similar
effects, but it has similar file size limitations also.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the filter's author, Arto Huotari? I
haven't been able to find his e-mail address on-line.

I need to find someone who knows how to change the filter's algorithm to work
with larger file sizes.

I do not have any programming background. I would like to hire someone capable
of doing this for me.

Kind regards,
Kent

An image size is expressed in pixels, not in bytes of file space, because this depends too much on compression algorithms and actual image contents.

Since 500k-1MB is the usual disk space size for JPEG images around 4Mpx, we will assume you are talking about 800Mpx images (25000x25000), 4GB once loaded....

I don't think changing the algorithm is going to help much. What can be done is cut your image into smaller images of manageable size (with possibly some overlap), apply the filter on each and then blend the results.

Otherwise the GMIC authors hang out on gimpchat.com and on flickr (https://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/discuss)