Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 3 release date

josephbupe (forums gimpusers com) wrote:
Kindly educate me on the difference it will make migrating from gtk 2
to gtk 3.

GTK+ 3 has several new features that makes the life of us developers
easier. Also tablet support on windows will be improved.

Are there usability/performance issues to be directly perceived by the user?

Not unless we use the new features.

There is a major impact though: 3rd party plugins might break,
especially if they use widgets from libgimpwidgets. Hence we cannot do
the switch to gtk3 within the gimp 2.x series since we promise a certain
level of api stability within this series. If that weren't the case we'd
have switched to gtk+-3 long ago.

Bye,
        Simon
--