Re: [Gimp-user] Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files

Gary Aitken and Alexander Rabtchevich suggest that Darktable (and possibly
Shotwell) are applying corrections that improve the display of the raw
image.  This is true, but in Darktable you can select the "0 - original"
image without the sharpening and curve correction and the image is still
very presentable, unlike anything that UFRaw is presenting.  I can open the
raw images using the software provided by Minolta and Sony and the images
look fine, but these tools run only on Windows and I really want the GIMP
plug-in feature that UFRaw provides.

After opening in UFRaw, the initial settings are so bad that I am unable to
correct the picture to create anything close to a usable image.

Are other Minolta/Sony users seeing similar results, and don't Cannon, Nikon
and other raw-file users see reasonable images when they use UFRaw?

Darktable applies RGB camera curve, uses "enhanced" camera color matrix
and applies a little sharpening by default.

Jeffery Small wrote:
Ubuntu 13.10 system running on an Asus U56E system
UFRaw ver. 0.19.2
Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

I reported on this a long while ago and then got very busy with other
things.  This is a follow-up with details.

When attempting to load Minolta (mrw) and Sony (arw) raw image files into
GIMP, UFRaw is not properly processing them.  The following webpage has
images which demonstrate the problem:

http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/index.html

The raw files are being imported with distorted color and contrast.
However, as the additional images show, other programs such as Darktable
and Shotwell are importing and displaying these files properly.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems, and is there any known
solution?

Regards.

With respect,
Alexander Rabtchevich