Re: [Gimp-user] Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files

On 04/04/14 20:43, Jeffery Small wrote:

Ubuntu 13.10 system running on an Asus U56E system
UFRaw ver. 0.19.2
Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

I reported on this a long while ago and then got very busy with other
things.  This is a follow-up with details.

When attempting to load Minolta (mrw) and Sony (arw) raw image files into
GIMP, UFRaw is not properly processing them.  The following webpage has
images which demonstrate the problem:

http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/index.html

The raw files are being imported with distorted color and contrast.
However, as the additional images show, other programs such as Darktable
and Shotwell are importing and displaying these files properly.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems, and is there any known
solution?

This is kind of a shot in the dark.  I don't know anything about shotwell,
and not much about darktable.  But I know darktable automatically applies
an exposure correction curve to the raw file when it imports it, and ufraw
does not (unless you set one as the default).  You might look at the
exposure correction curve darktable applies and see what it looks like when
you apply a similar curve in ufraw.  There may be other automagic things
darktable does in regards to color; not sure.