[Gimp-user] Text tool question

Hi Everyone,

I just installed gimp on my new mac using the dmg file provided at gimp org
downloads.   I do most of my photography editing in Aperture but would like to
use Gimp to add other effects such as text etc.

I've been trying to add some text to some images but I'm having a lot of
problems,  I press T for text and the text editor pops up but every time I try
to type something it's using what I'm typing as hotkeys and not entering text.

e.g I hit T for text then if I type S Gimp presents me with the tool hot keyed

Any suggestions?    My Gimp is 2.8.4

--
Scookum (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)