[Gimp-user] folder thumbnails

hello  yesterday  i  installed  latest  version  of  gimb.and  i   have
noticed  that  in  my  C  drive  was  created  a   subfolder  called
thumbnails(complete  path  is  C\users(my  name)\thumbnails).every  time  i
opened  a  picture  with  gimp ,automatically  create  a  thumbnail  of
picture.so  i  have  the next  question:this  folder  was  created  by the
gimp?i  dont  remember the  existence  of  any  folder  with  that  name.i
concern  if  i  have  a  virus!!the  creation  of  this  folder  is  it
normall??and  if  it  is,how  can  stop the  creation  of  thumbnails?