[Gimp-user] grayscale gradients

I'm trying to create a grayscale gradient that varies from one side to the other of a selected area but it doesn't show up when I finish the attempt. I'm new to the concepts of Gimp so I'm sure it's some simple mistake. Could someone detail how to do this? Lol, from what i've read already, I think it can be done in multiple ways but any one that will work will suffice. I'm sure I'm just missing an organizational detail.