Re: [Gimp-user] HELP SAVING AS A PDF

On 01/12/2013 12:59 AM, NikkiParker wrote:
Hi,

I need to help with saving my GIMP as a PDF. When I save as a PDF it does not
save CORRECTLY as it appears in GIMP.  Picture of how it's saving below is shown
in GIMP and PDF

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/23kw8pz.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://oi50.tinypic.com/o0ov7t.jpg[/img]

Ouch.  It has been a long time since I tried to export a PDF from
the GIMP and since then things may have changed - but back then, I
gave up and I don't think the GIMP is the right tool for this kind
of job - making bitmap images that will end up in PDF files, yes,
but making whole PDF files, with text and line art, not so much.

Inkscape, a vector editor, is probably the right tool for the job at
hand.  You could export your design from the GIMP in any common
image format, import it into Inkscape, and use it as a guide to
rebuild your image as a vector graphic file.  This source file's
"native format" would be SVG, Scalable Vector Graphic.  Inkscape can
export vector files as EPS, Encapsulated Postscript, which is often
preferred for applications like label printing, and as PDF, which
would meet your specification exactly.

The major advantage of Inkscape, other than it "just works" for the
purpose in question, is that logos and other art created in vector
formats can be scaled to any size without loss of resolution and
re-used in many contexts.

There is also a "quick and dirty" method - quick because almost no
learning curve, dirty because the result will be a "fake PDF" that's
really just a container for a bitmap image.  But it might meet your
immediate requirement:  Take note of the desired display dimensions
of your image, and save is as a PNG.  Open a new Libre Office or
Open Office word processor document, drop your image in, and format
the page to be the same size as your finished image.  Export as PDF
and viola.  I was not certain this would work so I grabbed a random
image and tried it.  Results here:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/demo.pdf

:o)

Steve