Re: [Gimp-user] import vs open

On 02/18/2013 10:09 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 14:06 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:

Current File-Open makes sense as it is, at least to me.
File->Save made sense to people too.

But if GIMP is an XCF editor that can only save xcf files, being able to
open non-xcf files is an obvious bug, a hole in the metaphor. It should
only open xcf files. Non-GIMP files are "imported" to emphasize the data
loss and that they are not primary.

That was my argument as well. In fact, and I'm not sure if they fixed this yet, but in 2.8.0, when you do the Save As... you could still see image files such as JPG and PNG, just not save in those formats. And of course if you manually typed it in, it would stop and say "you can't do that."

That Save/Save As has been established since the creation of the the "standard GUI behaviors" is not relevant to the developers. "It's not professional" despite the fact that the most professional tools out there still do it this way.

In any case, #1 it's hard to care about this any more... it doesn't matter THAT much. I can still use it and I just have to remember this trifling detail every time I want to save the same JPG that I just opened. #2 it will not change. It has been stated repeatedly. They would rather end the project than change this. It's the most important detail of the whole program.

There needs to be an FAQ about GiMP which covers this topic and all arguments to date. I too say, let it go.