Re: [Gimp-user] import vs open

> From: liam holoweb net
> To: cr33dog gmail com
> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 22:09:30 -0500
> CC: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] import vs open
>
> Or I wasn't clear, I think. It's not really clean vs. dirty, but
> whether the canvas is new and unused and empty. E.g. try this in a word
> processor: open the program and you get a blank canvas into which you
> can type right away; open a file and it replaces that blank canvas.
>
> This is actually a separate issue from open/import really.
>
> Liam

. . . which is also behavior that varies between individual products.  Comparing the few word processors I have on hand, I get:

MS WordPad: Only allows one window per application instance.  If you want multiple windows you have to start it multiple times.  (Not a problem - lightweight, shares the system clipboard)

MS Works 4.5: MDI application that displays one child window per file opened, and never replaces one window with another.  (Comparable to GIMP)

MS Word 2003: Opens a blank window by default.  If no changes are made to the blank document then opening a file will replace it, otherwise it opens in a separate window.

MS Works 8: Aside from having a separate task launcher for accessing its WP, spreadsheet, etc, it has the same behavior as Word 2003.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com