Re: [Gimp-user] export vs save

Heh, I've mostly adapted to the "new ways" - PRAISE BE TO OUR
SAVIOR THE EXPORT COMMAND! I AM NO LONGER A HEATHEN
BROTHERS! but it's still very fun to see this "Smug Developers Vs.
The Stupid Backlash that Wouldn't Die" movie franchise unfold in
countless installments.

My main problem with the export faith is that now, one does not simply
overwrite into a PNG image after enabling transparency. But what can
I do, if I'm just a body among the ignorant, unwashed masses, upon
which the glory of the Gimp shines, without ever being able to completely
grasp its radiant holyness? PRAISE BE TO THE EXPORT COMMAND!
FOR IT IS CODED THAT THROUGH THE EXPORT COMMAND IS THE
PATH TO ENLIGHTENMENT, SALVATION AND PHOTO EDITING!

I have been proven willing to use the holy export command, and thus
worthy of the heavenly gift that main branch Gimp is!

But to lose patience against a powerless, trickling ragtag bunch of
trolls, not only ignorant and unwashed but UNFAITHFUL, and in ill
will refusing to accept the good news and renewing ways of the HOLY
EXPORT COMMAND? That sure is a sign of a faltering faith.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer fsfe org> wrote:
Burlen Loring <bloring lbl gov> writes:

> I'm sure the author(s) feels that it's the best thing since sliced
> bread, however, differentiating between save and export in newer gimp
> is a ridiculous waste of time. it's so annoying and in efficient that
> I feel the need to chime in against it and strongly hope  this change
> will be reversed in a future release.

The GIMP developers have stated that they are not reverting the change.
Your options are:

1) learn the new way

2) use this plugin which implements the old way within GIMP:
   http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

3) use the GIMP fork GIMB which reverts the change completely:
   https://github.com/mardy/gimb

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C