Re: [Gimp-user] export vs save

On 02/17/2013 08:09 PM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Jeffery Small <jeff cjsa com> wrote:
When a major UI change like this is contemplated, why would it not be
implemented as a configuration switch which can be turned on/off on the
Preferences menu?  In this particular case, a simple switch could reverse
the Save and Export functions.  In the default mode, it would operate just
<snip>
There has probably been 1000 times more effort expended writing about this
change than would have been spent implementing my suggestion above.  That's
something worth thinking about.
This applies to both sides of the discussion. Except one side wants
the old behaviour kept and one doesn't. Whose responsibility is it,
then? What do Alexandre and the rest of the devs actually owe users in
an open-source project? Particularly years after the change was first
mooted and discussed.

There are ALREADY plugins for those who want the old behaviour back
(not that I've used them). While I can understand the fly-by posts by
ignorant rant-ers (happens everywhere), I do not understand long-term
readers of this ML continuing this discussion. Someone has already
'fixed' what you believe is broken....
"Owe"? Therein lies a kind of perspective concern. It's not a question of what is owed, but is what is wanted. The response to something which is wanted is what matters here.

The change is viewed by many as unwelcome. The responses to their wants are unkind and devoid of understanding.

I'm okay with cold, straight answers. I often resort to answers which are empty of kindness and consideration. But over the years, it is often helpful to diffuse problems with a bit of kindness and generosity.

No one owes anyone kindness and generosity. These are bits of character and personality owned by the giver. If a person chooses to ignore the value of kindness and generosity, it is their choice, but it is one with long-term effects in that people will tend to perceive them as negative and/or difficult to work with.

For now, there is no alternative to GiMP. But if one were to appear, can you imagine what factors might come into play when people decide what to use? GiMP doesn't exist entirely because of the developers. No question that the developers create, maintain and push it forward -- it couldn't happen without it. But the cheering crowds have value as well. Without users expressing their needs and wishes, projects get lost and forgotten... and without the cheering crowd, developers also lose interest.

No one "owes" kindness and consideration to anyone else. But that doesn't mean they aren't important. And it reflects well on the character of the giver.