Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp Software

On 02/07/2013 03:45 PM, Rayford Sewell wrote:
I was wondering about making a children's book.  Are there children's books out there that have been
developed by using GIMP?

You might pick up some inspiration from GIMP Magazine:

http://gimpmagazine.org/issue2/

Also I know people that use different brushes have different limitations or have you purchase them for
commercial use, Is it ok to use them and print out copies when the book is completely finished?

That's a major can of worms.  The safest thing is to use only Free
as in Libre fonts and brushes under a GPL or CC model license for
production work.  You might find everything you need here:

https://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/

You can also use the GIMP to make brushes of your very own:

http://tinyurl.com/gimp-brushes-tutorial
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Custom_Brushes/
http://tinyurl.com/vector2brush

Back to the worm can, "I am not a lawyer" but I do not consider any
font or brush susceptible to copyright safe to use, unless I can
prove that a "free" license has been applied to it by its original
creator, or have in my possession a receipt from its original
creator clearly spelling out my rights to use the thing.  As a
matter of personal policy, I don't use "non-free" tools when an
alternative exists.

I have not heard of any publishers demanding to see the licenses for
tools used in preparing submitted art.  But if some "IP broker"
recognizes a font or brush they charge rent for in your work, they
might demand to see your license, and attempt to extort thousands of
dollars out of you if you can't show have a receipt for a license to
use their poisoned candy.

:o)

Steve