Re: [Gimp-user] Tear off menu bug + work-around

On 02/06/2013 01:55 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:
Steve Kinney writes:
The GIMP's tear-off menus do not seem to work on Linux platforms.
[ ... ]
I could not find a "real fix" for this, I did see a practical work
around:  Hit the space bar after clicking on the desired command,
and viola, the command is executed.

Thank you! I've really missed the tear-offs -- they haven't worked
for me since 2.6 came out -- and that will help.

Aha!  Now at least I know it's not my insanity - or ignorance -
making this happen.

Are you on Ubuntu?  A discussion on #gimp a few weeks ago suggested
that it was a problem with Ubuntu's GTK patches. And indeed, when I
tried it on a non-Ubuntu system, tear-offs worked fine. They've
failed for me on at least three different Ubuntu releases, maybe as
many as five.  Though it works for Ofnuts on Kubuntu, so it's not
ALL Ubuntus ...  I haven't had a chance since the discussion to try
building a vanilla GTK on my Pangolin system to see if that cures
the problem.

I am using Mint with Cinnamon, which is a fork of Gnome 3 with Gnome
2 style desktop features.  Mint 14 is built on top of Ubuntu
Quantal, so in effect it is a Ubuntu system.  Synaptic says I have
libgtk-3-0 version 3.6.0-0ubuntu3.2 from the Quantal repo on board.

Odd thing is, the tear off menus in Bluefish work normally.

Anyway, broken tear-offs are super annoying, have been a problem for
years, and although I still wish for a real fix, your workaround is
very helpful. Thanks!

I saw the spacebar trick in a response to an old help forum thread
about the broken tear off menus.  It's nice to have tear off menus back.

:o)

Steve