Re: [Gimp-user] I'm finding it hard to work with brush sizes in 2.8

On 02/01/2013 01:18 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

sizes varying between about 5 and 50 pixels, with relatively high precision.
The new dialog devotes the left 5% of the slider to this range. I know there
was some talk about changing this slider to be logarithmic. Is there any
progress on that?

I am still getting used to GIMP 2.8, but on my installation, the
sliders have two adjustment modes via click and drag, depending on
where in the slider one clicks:  When an upward arrow shows, the
slider drags like an old fashioned "button" looking one.  When a two
headed horizontal arrow shows, dragging the mouse moves the slider
at about 10% the normal rate, for fine adjustment.  This has not
become at all "intuitive" for me yet, but I trust that "the marble
will find the bottom of the bowl" in time.

In re adjusting brush diameter, I map the unassigned Alt+Scroll
(mouse wheel) combination to "Brush size increase" and "Brush size
decrease".  Adjusting brush size on the fly without leaving the
canvas is a wonderful thing.  Picture worth thousand words:

http://pilobilus.net/img/mouse-scale-brush.jpg

I have also used this menu to map Ctrl+Alt+Shift plus Scroll
up/down, to increase or decrease brush hardness.  On my installation
I found that the "more" version of this function works better than
the regular one.  With these brush siza and harness accelerators
set, and the Paintbrush tool options dock open, I find that I rarely
have to change brushes in the middle of a task.

The GIMP's factory default configuration can not be all things to
all users, but the GIMP's configuration options more than make up
for that.  My "introduction to the GIMP" page is mostly about
configuration options:  It just got a little obsolete and I will be
rewriting it shortly, but meanwhile:

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

My configuration choices reflect habits acquired using much earlier
versions of the GIMP, dating back to Tor Lillqvist's first Windows
ports.  A new or new-er user's mileage may vary a lot, but the way I
set the GIMP up works for me.

:o)

Steve