Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

On 28 December 2013 09:37, Ofnuts <ofnuts laposte net> wrote:
On 12/28/2013 01:41 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On 27 December 2013 16:22, Sam Gleske <sam mxracer gmail com> wrote:

Original message below.  I see a good feature recommendation here.
Sliders
for fuzzy selection in the select Tool Options dialogs.  I think it would
be useful.

Well, that is there since...forever!
The task at hand here is somewaht different - giving
control to fuzzy out the contents on paste - that makes the difference,
for two things:
1) you can see the "final result" as you play along with the silder
2) you make the pasted content fuzzy so that it has
100% transparency on its border. With fuzzy selections,
you get 50% transparency on the border, before cutting. After pasting,
one has to go through all the steps listed above, and they are
quite a few.

This question has been asked elsewhere. A solution is to paste the full
object to a new layer, add a layer mask, fill the shape with a shaped
gradient (which is a function of the distance to the outline) and then use
the Brightess/Contrast (2 sliders), Levels (5 sliders), or Curves (256
sliders) to adjust the blend.

The fact that there is a multi-step way for doing this does not mean
there should not be a single step to perform it.
(BTW, if you check the e-mails on this thread, you will
see that I know it is feasible and had scripted the steps
 in an automated way)

https://github.com/jsbueno/gimp-plugins/blob/master/feather_paste.py