[Gimp-user] Best way to edit this background

Hello,
I have read through the forum and found many interesting tutorials.
But still, I dont really know what to do.

I need to edit around 100 pictures like this:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/yo9ax

Here I already made most of the background white and then tried to adjust the
closer background with the Level-Tool, but just influences my dress too much

I read many tutorials, but they all don't work for me. The fuzzy tool is
useless, because part of the background is always involved in the dress.

Is there any way to change the background to white and maybe a tutorial for this
special kind of picture?

Thank you so much,

Gigi

Attachments: