Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.6 Windows - Queries new Plug-ins at every startup

I accidentally replied off list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Gleske <sam mxracer gmail com>
Date: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.6 Windows - Queries new Plug-ins at every
startup
To: physoc <forums gimpusers com>

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM, physoc <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

I downloaded GIMP today (16 August) and run Win 7 (64-bit). I've been
unable to get it to start because it crashes when 'querying plugins'
in the 'Startup' routine. If I close the GIMP window and try again it
skips across the previous plugin .exe but then hangs at the next one.
After ten-minutes of closing/ running/ hanging.....etc., I gave-up!
Free software is fine if it works, if it doesn't it's just a few
deleted bits in the Recycle Bin....

OK, problem identified and fixed. My problem was with ZONE ALARM firewall
settings. It required GIMP access to be set manually to allow internet
access.
This maybe what is causing the problem with others. Check any firewall
settings.

 If that's the case I think you should discuss it with gimp-developer
list.  If there truly are programs "phoning home" in the plugins I don't
believe that is either necessary nor a desired behaviour.  Even if is what
is intended it should not bring down the whole program so I would consider
that a bug.