Re: [Gimp-user] Hello!

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:21:44 -0500
From: war tribe mc gmail com
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Hello!

Hello all! I'm fairly new to GIMP and even after reading the user manual, it stills seems to be written for someone with a Ph.D. What I'm trying to do is to take a scanned hand drawn picture and trace over it to make a brand new image that's cleaner and delete the scanned image from the whole thing so that only the new, GIMP drawing is there. Remember, I need this to be in layman's terms, please. I'm doing a google search to find some tutorials that are easier to follow than the manual while I wait for a reply. Thanks!

Boudi

The actual 'drawing' part is not quite as easy as it looks from a glance, but the general steps are:

1 - Open your scanned image in GIMP.
2 - Select "Add New Layer" from the Layers menu.   The New Layer dialog pops up, the only thing to check here is that the layer is initialized to "Transparent".
3 - If you aren't already, ensure that the new layer is the one selected in the Layers dialog.
4 - Draw away!
5 - There are two ways to 'remove' the old layer when you're done:  First, you can simply hide it (click the eye icon in the layers dialog), which keeps it as part of the open image (in case you need it later) or you can right-click its entry in the layers list and select "Delete layer".
6 - Save and/or export the result as desired.  (Remembering that in 2.8 "Save" is for XCF files only.)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com