Re: [Gimp-user] Post GIMP File Management, Organizing & Viewing/Simpler Alternatives & Options PLEASE READ & HELP!!! How Make .JPG Files More Like Tiles or Icons. Once Moved They Stay Set

Hello Everyone,

Please Help Me! I am perplexed & hungry for ideas. I have thousands of
3x5 inch
index cards, all hand written cards. And I have learned how to use
GIMP to scan
4 cards at a time, crop, guillotine the 4 cards to make 4 seperate
.JPG files,
and then import to my PC (XP).

The cards will (I guess) be numbered like 001.jpg, 002.jpg like that.
BUT this
current batch of cards are basically just "things to do" index cards,
so I will
likely have 3 folders labeled by priority 1, 2, 3....And inside these
folders
are all my .JPG files depending on the priority of each "things to do"
card.

And all these thousands of cards will be dragged and dropped or
otherwise be
constantly moved and/or deleted by me constantly from folder to
folder, keep in
mind each of these .JPG files is labeled/numbered.

So when I move them from one folder to another, there is
labeling/numbering
conflicts, and the order and positioning will be lost.

What I was hoping for was some sort of a program/file manager whereby
I can
treat the ".JPG Files" more like tiles or desktop icons, once moved
they are
just there and do not move unless I move them and they do not get
automatically
moved by my PC based on "file name/number", yet still be able to move
and/or
delete them from folder to folder without conflict.

I really need some "thinking outside of the box" options/ideas. Any
alternative
file & folder experts out there? Any file management/organizing
programs out
there? Please Help!

Use a program like shotwell and tag each file with its file name. Then
no matter where it is you can retrieve it from the tag.

The tag might also be useful for further identification of the cards

--
Owen