Re: [Gimp-user] Photo Restoration

On 09/23/2012 07:45 AM, Lorgach wrote:
Hi All,
I'm a relative newbie at using Gimp or any Photo Editing software but I have tried out some adjustments on
photos using Gimp and am happy with the results.
I have recently been asked if I could try to restore an old black and white photo that is in quite bad
shape, full of bends, scratches and is also very grainy.
I have looked through the Tutorials and also done searches on here to try and find something that would
assist me in carrying out this project but there doesn’t seem to be anything that I can find that would
help me.
I would be grateful if someone on the Forum could point me in the right direction if some quicker/slicker
techniques I could use other that using the Cloning and Healing brushes as I have tried this and it’s
extremely laborious.

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim,

The Colors and Grain script might be very helpful:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/25148

If you download the script and put it in the "scripts" directory of
your GIMP installation (location varies with operating systems), it
will appear in the GIMP menu at:  Filters > Leon > Grain-Colors

How to use this script to remove common photo damage, per the
plugin's author (scroll down for English):

http://tinyurl.com/blpcx7s

This video tutorial on retouching skin explains how to set up the
grain and color layers "by hand" without the script:

http://tinyurl.com/9pszk5s

An alternate method using the same general principles:

http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?showtopic=28265

:o)

Steve