[Gimp-user] new to script-fu -- won't register

This has to be something dumb, but I can't get a script-fu function to show up.
freebsd, gimp 2.6

~user/.gimp-2.6/scripts/test.scm:

(define (script-fu-garya-test fileList)
  (script-fu-register
    "script-fu-garya-test"          ; function name
    "My Menu Label"                 ; menu label
    "My Description"                ; description
    "Me as Author"                  ; author
    "copyright info"                ; copyright notice
    "2012-09-12 v 0.01"             ; date created
    ""                              ; image type the script works on
    SF-STRING  "fileList"  ""       ; First arg is a list of files to process
  )
;  (script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-garya-test" "<Image>/File")
  (script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-garya-test" "Filters/garya")
)

I've tried restarting gimp,
and also Filters/Script-Fu/Refresh Scripts

file mode is 644, directory is 755
I have brushes in ~user/.gimp-2.6/brushes
and they show up fine.

hints?

May be related:
When I go to open a file, the file selection dialog does not show any of the
".xxx" directories or files.  I have All selected in the file type.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Gary