Re: [Gimp-user] application suggestions to evaluate tool options - input needed

First of all, many thanks for this opportunity; unfortunately not all projects have this attitude towards
their users.

And now, let's get into matter! I use GIMP to retouch my photographs, and spend most of my time in the
application doing the following tasks:

* Cloning, to fix sensor dust, of remove some unwanted element from the photograph.
* Dodging and burning, or painting on an overlay layer, to lighten or darken some zones, add volume to
objects, re-balance the light in the scene, ...
* Paint large areas with a solid black color, to create a false dark background.
* Paint on a mask, to selectively merge two versions of the same image.

[I think it is worth mentioning that I own a Wacom tablet, which I use extensively; it usually sits in the
center of my desktop, with the keyboard and mouse both displaced to a side (thus, having to use the mouse or
the keyboard slows down my workflow)].

So, I'm always using some type of brush tool in GIMP; I exclusively use round brushes, that I change in size
and hardness quite frequently. In 2.6 I would always have the brush editor dialog open with a custom brush,
and modify it from there.

In 2.8 I cannot change the size from the brush editor (well, I can, but the change does not get reflected
into the tool immediately); so, in order to avoid having to go back and forth between the brush editor and
the tool options dialog, I have to create brushes for each hardness level. I would prefer to have a dialog
where I could quickly change the size and hardness of the brush.

And speaking of this, I haven't still got used to the new size selection widget; in particular, setting small
values is a bit cumbersome, in my humble opinion.

--
eduperez (via gimpusers.com)