[Gimp-user] Mode layer? [was: Calm and rational Save/Export workflow report ; )]

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog gmail com> wrote:
 I need to keep the XCF in
either color or greyscale with extra layers/paths/etc but I also need
to produce a flattened 1-bit image before exporting as TIFF.

Hmm - pending further geglization, would something like a "mode layer"
be feasible?  IE, a layer with options corresponding to the
Image->Mode menu items?

For example I could add a "mode layer" of type "indexed" with 1-bit
and threshold options and every visible layer underneath would be
converted for preview, and exported as 1-bit.  Not only would that let
me take advantage of the new save/export behavior, but it would be
useful in its own right: I could tweak the underlying gray/color
layers and watch the changes to the 1-bit image in "real time" or just
toggle the layer on/off to switch between views.

Just a random thought :)

Chris