[Gimp-user] flyers

I used word 2000 to create a flyer  - inserted photo - typed text over photo - looked nice but it was a pain to finally convert to jpg - so
I'd like to recreate it with the same photo using gimp
I had to change from full color to grayscale so text would show
my question - can I use the photo and then for text box can I change that to a lightened grayscale for text background and
instead of setting the text box, can it expand as I type
I would only use gimp for flyers and I'm thinkin'
why download if it doesn't do what I'd like it too

thanks for your input