Re: [Gimp-user] Crop to oval?

On 03/30/2012 03:19 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
Anyway, a relative just sent me an old old family photo that some nitwit,
perhaps a generation or two ago, did some seriously violence to with a pair
of scissors.  To salvage this one and to make it look presentable I really
need to be able to take the scan I have of it and crop it into a oval shape.
(Yes, it is a portrait.)

P.P.S.  For bonus points, somebody please also explain to me how to fade
the edges of the oval slowly to white.  that would be really cool, and
would, I'm sure, impress the bejesus out of some of my relatives
Hi Ronald,

Gimp's user interface is a bit hard to learn at first. Just do some tutorials, and you'll pick it up in no time.

For your question, I don't know of a way to do this without the use of layers.

With the oval selected, press CTRL+X to cut it out.
Then do a CTRL+V To paste the oval. This puts the oval into a "Floating Selection". It is almost like a layer, but not quite.

Now a little about Gimp's interface: You have three windows. In "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo - Brushes, Patterns, Gradients" there is an area for Layers (you probably know this). At the bottom of the layers area (above brushes) and to the left is a create new layer. Press it this turns the "Floating Selection" into a layer.

Next you can select on the other layer (Titled "Background" by default), and delete it by right clicking and pressing "Delete Layer". At this point you should have your image as you desire.

Instructions for feathering (the bonus points):

If your oval's layer isn't selected for any reason select it now. Then pick the "Select by Color Tool" from the Toolbox. Set the threshold to 255(in the bottom half of the toolbox) and click on your oval. This selects your oval...IIRC, there is a easier way to do this, but I don't remember how.

Right Click on the image somewhere and press Select>Shrink. Select a value, perhaps 4 or 5 and hit okay.

Now right click on the image again and press Select>Invert. Right click on the image and Select > Feather Put 4 or 5 and press okay. Press the delete button on your keyboard, and you should be good to go.

Hth and ask away if you have questions,
-Stefan Maerz