[Gimp-user] Gimp installation

I have been trying to compile and install gimp(2.7.2) from source using gimpusers tutorials however,when I
tried to configure gimp(copy and paste from tutorial)replacing the necessary character in (prefix)hung me
up,especially since I am new at this.At any rate,after several failed attempts I decided to just install 2.6
from ubuntu software center however,Software Center tells me Package Dependencies Cannot Be Resolved:The
error could be caused by required additional software packages which are missing or not installable.
Futhermore, there could be a conflict between software packages which are not allowed to be installed at the
same time.Finally I went to Synaptic to try to install gimp.However,Synaptic tells me:"Could not mark all
packages for installation or upgrade ....The following packages(a list)have Unresolvable  dependencies.Make
sure that all the required repositories are added and enable in preferences.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks

--
Lojames (via gimpusers.com)