Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8 Bug - Disk read error

From: w macdonald imperial ac uk
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:58:25 +0000
Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8 Bug - Disk read error

Dear All,

I happily used Gimp 2.4 and 2.6 for quite some time on my laptop.

Now I have downloaded and installed Gimp 2.8 it won’t open any files for me – when I try to open a file it returns an error message “no disc in the drive” about a disc drive I don’t believe I have.

I tried uninistalling and reinstalling (two weeks later) and the same bug recurred.

Any help please?

Thanks,

Warren

Now this is just a random guess, but look for a file called "recently-used.xbel", usually in your designated application data directory (when in doubt, do a full search).  It is a document-history XML file globally shared between all GTK+ applications (GIMP, Inkscape, etc.), but if it accumulates entries that no longer match a valid path (removable media drives, remote network shares, etc.), this can cause the above error message to occur in basically any/every GTK+ app you have, usually in close proximity to the Open/Save dialogs.

It is safe to remove bad entries from the file (or even the file itself, it is auto generated), and if that was in fact the cause it'll clear the problem in a hurry.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com