Re: [Gimp-user] [Gimp-developer] Merge "Save a Copy" with "Export As" [was: Ditch the "Save a Copy" command (really)]

> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Ditch the "Save a Copy" command (really)
> From: liam holoweb net
> To: strata_ranger hotmail com
> CC: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:59:51 -0400
>
> "save a copy" saves as xcf without changing the image filename
>
> It's not doing the same thing as "export a lossy copy you might or might
> not be able to re-open"
>
> Liam

Is this difference enough of a difference to even be a difference for the end user?

Neither command takes action without a dialog prompt, neither one changes the file associated with the current image, neither one wipes the image state clean.  They are functionally identical, target file format (and consequences thereof) notwithstanding.

The way I see it, and reason for even posting such a radical suggestion in the first place, is that the Export command does not, necessarily, have to care whether the user selects a standard or XCF file format for the task, because either way it has no effect on the current image.  It doesn't change the target of subsequent Save commands, it doesn't un-dirty the image state (with possible loss of work when exiting GIMP).

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com