[Gimp-user] gimp 2.8 precision

I can't figure out what is going on with bit depth (precision) in gimp
2.8.
I read in a .png file which had 16 bit precision, but when I exported it
to a .png file under a different name I got a file with 8 bit precision.
It used to be true that when gimp read in a 16 bit file, it issued a
warning that it was converting it to 8 bit precision.

Is higher precision just awaiting another version of gimp?
--
Leonard Evens len math northwestern edu
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University