Re: [Gimp-user] Export quality setting for JPGs?

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 14:51 -0500, Keith Purtell wrote:
When I export a Web JPG from GIMP and it offers me a sliding Quality bar
that goes 0 - 100. I want to know if that's an equivalent to the similar
JPG quality setting in Photoshop?

No; gimp's 75 is awful, although I often use it for the 500 pixel
preview images on www.fromoldbooks.org to save bandwidth and to give
instant gratification for dialup users.  Well, sooner gratification.

If I use anything below 90 or 93 in gimp I often use "smoothing" too,
which reduces the visible artefacts.

On the other hand you can easily get much smaller files with GIMP for
almost the same quality.

Liam