Re: [Gimp-user] transparent text for water mark

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 04:23 +0200, reuben_j_cogburn wrote:
Hi gang,

I'm new here, and trying to learn to utilize Gimp to my fullest potential. I've looked through the
tutorials but am not quite finding what I'm looking for, which is actually pretty simple. I just need to be
able to turn some text nearly transparent.
I use it as a water stamp for images I post online. I see ways to alter the text, but no way to do a
gradient fade...
Could anybody walk me through it?

Easiest way:

1. use the text tool to enter "www.meninblacksocks.com" or whatever.
This will make a text layer.

2. in the layers dialogue (control-shift-L or see window->dockable
dialogues) change the opacity of the new text layer.

Liam