Re: [Gimp-user] Fix Orientation ?

Image --> Transform --> Rotate

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg tristatelogic com> wrote:

What is the proper way, using gimp, to correct the orientation of an
image?

For example, I just took a shot with one of my cameras where I was
holding the camera in a vertical (portrait) orientation.  But when I
transfer the .JPG to my PeeCee and view it with gimp (or ImageMagick)
it is laying over on its sid, in landscape orientation.

To fix this, should I be using Tools->Transform Tools->Rotate or is
there a better way?  (Actually, I did try doing it that way using
gimp, and the results were distinctly unacceptable... some parts of
the image got cropped out, and some new transparent parts were added.
Bummer.  This is not at all what I had in mind.)

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Before asking here, I did try googling around for gimp and
"orientation" and/or gimp and "rotate" but didn't find anything
enlightening.  I also checked the Gimp FAQ and again came up empty.