Re: [Gimp-user] File size reduction

Hello,

My name is Derek Mortimer.

I am looking for an open source application to reduce the number of
pixels, thus reducing the number of kilobytes or megabytes, in a
normal picture file, jpeg, etc.

In Photoshop, the process is called downsampling.  I have looked at
the documentation for GIMP and sampling does not seem to be the
correct term for the requisite process.  Nor can I find what is the
correct term in GIMP.

Does the process of pixel reduction and file size reduction exist in
GIMP, please?

If it does, what is the technical term, please, so that I can look it
up in the documentation for GIMP?

Unsure of your final objective, is it for web or for print?

Have a look at Image->Scale_Image where you can adjust both size and dpi

 --
Owen