[Gimp-user] The saga of GIMP and PNGs with transparency

I started this general topic in another thread, but everything I was told there is working. I have a new issue with the steps suggested:

When I have an image open in the native GIMP format, and highlight the white margin borders (w/magic wand) around the content, and change it to an alpha channel, which coverts it to the classic "checkerboard" that indicates transparency, then export a PNG .... any subsequent PNG-to-SWF conversion (tested five brands of software) results in that transparent area turning completely black. What am I doing wrong?

Keith