im still figuring out gimp and how to use it like photoshop. so i can
get back to doing what i normally want to do, that i was doing with
photoshop

#1: in over all view how does gimp stack up to Photoshop and all of
its features, are they compairable? to each other.

GIMP has all of the basic stuff you need for image manipulation. the only thing
is, that you sometimes don't have the comfort of Photoshop. also some special
stuff is not available, for instance GIMP has no Pantone®  colors availabe. but
for most people GIMP will be a sufficiant alternative to photoshop. there is no
list available that compares all the features. some features are comparable,
others are not (almost all of the color correction tools have a counterpart,
basic filters do, some other filters don't have a pendant in GIMP)  – but it was
never GIMPs intention to be a free PS – is beeing developed in its own way!

#2: are gimp's tool's brushes filters and ect.. are they as good as
photoshop. do they give the same quality output that PS does?

the brushes are great, there are hundreds of them available in the web to
enhance GIMP. they give you the same quality output. GIMPs brushes "engine" is
getting more awesome with every release.

#3: is there anyway to install all of the availbe plugs for gimp, in a
easy, effenct method/,manner, or do i have to download them all and do
it that way?

no, sadly, there is no plugin control center or something like that yet. there
are some filter packages available however which are pretty nice. i.e. the gimp
fx foundry http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpfx-foundry/files/?source=navbar.
the G'MIC plugin itself contains hundreds of filters.

#4: is their gpu support like photoshop to speed up rendering?

not yet, but it's in the works

#5: how fast is gimp compaired to PS when rendering not just 3d also
2D paintings such as the ones seen on deviantart, thats what i do most
of the time. w/o gpu support

currently definitely at least a bit slower but with upcoming gpu/multicore
support this will be hopefully improved in future releases of GIMP. however gimp
is not slow at all when opening/viewing images.

#6; does gimp make use of muti-cores when doing rendering photos and
images, & ect..

not yet, but it's in the works. currently you can only use multiple cores if you
process different filters at once, but the same filter cannot work faster with
more cpu cores right now. at least thats what I think. what do you mean with
rendering?

# 7; what is the core limit with gimp, are there any?

I don't know, I guess the limit is higher then your computer could offer ;)

#8 thank you all for your time effort, in reading this and if you
provide an, answer thank you very much.

you're welcome!

In ending this msg, thank you my ninja's. for ninjaing this question.
:)

--
devvv (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)