Re: [Gimp-user] Extreme newby needs some help please!

Hi Jessica,

On 13 Aug 12 01:04 Jessica Tomlinson <jtsoundtech92 yahoo com> said:
I've attached this question mark which is a test that I've been
playing with.  I want to make it transparent, like a regular GIF
image, so you can set it against color and not have a tacky white
square.  I've been trying to select and cut the white area with the
"select by color" tool, but I'm not sure if this is working or not.

The "Select by color" or "Fuzzy select" tool should do the job of
selecting the white area, producing a set of "marching ants" around
the selected colour.

However, before you do that you need to "Add Alpha Channel" to the
layer. It is that channel that allows an area to become transparent
when you delete a selection.

Then hit the DELETE key and the selected area will become transparent
showing a grey checkerboard to indicate transparancy.

I wanted to do the same for some black stray lines, but it didn't
work at all.  But for this, I could get rid of them with the eracer
tool.

You probably just made them white - the eraser simply paints in the
background colour (whereas the pencil and brush, etc paint in
foreground colour), so in this case it just happened to be the colour
you wanted.

Also, instead of saving as a GIF file, it insists on saving
this as a GIMP image!  Why is this??

Because GIMP will only SAVE to its native format (.xcf). If you want
to produce a file in another format you must EXPORT it and choose the
desired file format.

Greg Chapman
http://www.gregtutor.plus.com
Helping new users of KompoZer and The GIMP