Re: [Gimp-user] How can I create huge billboard sized files in super high dpi?

On 24 April 2012 22:44, Tara Gover <tarajenay mail com> wrote:
Hi guys,

I am printing super high res images onto fabric.  My print guy has
instructed me to create my images in 1440 dpi and my fabric is 58 inches
wide and about 80 yards long.  I need to create ONE image so they can just
print it continuously along the whoe piece of fabric.  So I need to create a
REALLY BIG image.  They have recommended Adobe Creative Suite, but of course
I want to do it with GIMP.

Just today, I installed the latest GIMP, and it doesn't seem to be letting
me create even a 58x72 inch image in 1440 dpi.  Is there an add on or a way
that I can create huge tiff files in GIMP?.....or do I have to shell out the
cash and get Creative Suite?

There is not much sense in an image with these dimensions and this
resolution. 1440 dpi would be even suitable for film negative (a 1 by
1 inch image to be scaled up for apreciation).

Since you managed to scale a image up to those dimensions in your
system, and suppose you can save the image with those dimensions with
the tiff plug-in, you can safelly create your artwork using 90dpi (or
even less) . . when you are done,
flatten the image, scale it up to the desired resolution, as you said
you managed to do, and export it to tiff.

At 90dpi you should be using
58 * 72 * (90 ** 2) * 4 /(1024 ** 2) =
129 MB per layer, which is feasible.

    js